Air Dates: June 6th & 7th, 2015
Right smack dab in the middle of debate over the Patriot Act renewal, it turns out we are more heavily monitored than ever. That’s right. Just as the Senate continues debate about the Patriot Act expiration, it turns out the FBI is flying surveillance planes over American cities, doing so using “front companies.”
Naturally, if the FBI is up to these games, the NSA, CIA, and probably the EPA are all doing it—or worse.
So what’s to become of the Patriot Act? Over the weekend, Sen. Rand Paul successfully (or traitorously, depending on whom you talk to) prevented Senate’s renewal of the Patriot Act and certain provisions have lapsed due to sunset laws built into the act. It’s not dead by any means and most politicians predict it will be renewed and that this is all just a temporary diversion.
- John Whitehead’s fantastic organization, The Rutherford Institute.
- His newest book is Battlefield America: The War on The American People.
- “Revealed: FBI recording US cities from above using fleet of surveillance aircraft that can identify thousands of people based on their cellphones” (UK Daily Mail article)
- John Yoo, the author of the Patriot Act, calls a federal appeals court in New York blocking of the NSA’s collection of telephone metadata a “grievous” error. Do you agree?
- John Yoo, the author of the Patriot Act: article 1 – “Will Congress reject the dangerous NSA ruling“; article 2 – “Ignoring risks to national security“; article 3 – “A defense of bulk surveillance“